Saturday, March 21, 2009

The House of Lyons Plague

This past week a plague fell upon our house!  Sunday evening Jeff and I were both feeling a little tickle in the throats... a tell tell sign of what was to come.  Monday we woke up to full blown icky-ness.  Jeff had to call in to work with a really sore throat, upset stomach, and some congestion. I had full head congestion and a little sore throat as well.  We laid around the house watching some tv and getting some naps in.  All in all, it was not too bad of a day - thank goodness Charlotte had a good day!

Tuesday it hit hard!  Jeff ended up having to go into work for about an hour and by the time he got home it was totally exhausted.  His throat was so swollen he could barely talk and could not swallow at all.  I was actually feeling a bit better, but we decided it was time to make doctors appointments and get some antibiotics in our systems.  Well, it is a bad sign when the nurse thinks your tonsils look terrible - poor Jeff had beat red tonsils that were really really swollen - sure sign of strep throat!! He got a shot of penicillin, liquid pain killer, and steroids to help the swelling. I ended up with just a sinus infection but we still did an antibiotic to get rid of it and keep me from getting strep.  We both had a low grade fever and were contagious, so mom and dad kept Charlotte for the next 24 hours.  It was really weird being without her, but it gave us a great nights sleep and let us relax and get better.

Wednesday and Thursday came around and Jeff was feeling much better (he better have been - so many drugs!) but he had to stay home because I was feeling so much worse!!  I never thought I would start getting worse after feeling better but it hit hard.  I had a fever that got to 101.7 and could not stop coughing.  My lungs and throat hurt soooo much. I had to stay away from my Charlotte bug, so it was on dad to take care of the both of us and while he was feeling much better, he was not 100% so it was tough on him.  After Tylenol, cough medicine, and lots of rest, my fever subsided and the coughing was able to be kept at bay by downing robatussin every 4 hours like clock work.  As much as we tried to keep Charlotte away from the germs, it was inevitable she would come in contact.  She has a little congestion, but it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much.  We are suctioning her nose all day and praying it doesn't get any worse.  She has her two month checkup Monday anyway, so the doctor will make sure she is doing ok.

Friday Jeff was finally able to go to work and my mom came over to watch Charlotte while I showered and then we went to lunch and grocery shopping at Target.  It was great to get out of the house and feel like a normal person!  We hadn't been to the store in weeks so it was a big trip but our pantry is now full!!  I was able to actually cook dinner for my husband friday night and then it was the series finale of Battlestar Galactica!!  This blog is already too long, so I'll keep my opinions of the finale at bay.  I'll just say it was a good night and bittersweet to see the end of this great show.

Overall, this was a crazy week full of tissues, medicine, and naps and although we were sick, it was really nice spending so much time with Jeff :) Not quite the vacation you have in mind, but it was relaxing nonetheless!  Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers and offers of help this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment